Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Intro

Well, here I am again. Doing something I vowed I would walk away from forever due to the amount of time it consumed in my daily life. My last blog entry, which was on Xanga, was on December 30, 2006. That’s virtually two and a half years ago! What has brought me back after all this lost time? The steady nagging of my beautiful wife, Esther.

When we got married, I promised Esther that I would start up my blog again at some point. Months and months passed, and I had not fulfilled my promise. Esther appeared to have given up on her crusade until she recently stumbled upon a friend’s blog chronicling her pregnancy and other life changes. Esther, who is over six months pregnant with our first child (the baby prenatally known as "Ella"), caught a bout of "blog envy," and again requested (nagged) that I create a blog. I indicated I would do so, but only under certain conditions. Esther, fearful that I would never get around to blogging otherwise, shockingly agreed to all of my conditions. (This should serve as a lesson to all you gents out there: Always lower your woman’s expectations. It works out at the end.)

So what were the conditions of my blog? There were only two:

1. It will be my own personal page.

Not our "family webpage" or our future daughter’s page. Mine, mine, mine–all mine! I’m not saying I’ll never post anything personal about our family or Ella, but at the same time, I didn’t want to be forced to write my entries as Ella in the first person. I’m hoping my kid will be talented, but having the ability to type from the confines of the womb? Naw, my readers will see right through that and know I’m ghostwriting. Which brings me to my next point: If you ever see a blog where a baby is actually saying stuff like, "I took a big poop today and poor daddy had to clean it up", don’t believe it! It’s a hoax. No baby is bright enough to have his own blog with the possible exception of Stewie from Family Guy. And even then it’s typed with a British accent.















2. I will have absolute creative control of my blog.

Again, like I said, I’ll gladly post about significant events in my daughter’s life. But there will be times that her bowel movements will have to take a backseat to a Dodgers’ walk-off homerun or even a wonderful cheeseburger I had for lunch. My blog will have no script and no set timetable for new entries. To test whether Esther is truly OK with this Rule #2, I took the liberty of unilaterally deciding on the name of the blog. I’m sure Esther was hoping this blog would be named something sentimental like "Ella’s Heart." Instead, I went the exact opposite route and named it "Gibby’s Limp." For those of you who don’t know the significance of the title, let’s just say it stems from the greatest ever Los Angeles sports moment:















So, Kuk Bi, here you go. Enjoy. Reap the benefits of your labor (nagging). You have truly been a worthy adversary.

8 comments:

  1. can you change the name at least? I was hoping it would be like theaustherbunch or something.
    can you include pictures on here?
    what's ur password to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY LIFE HAS A PURPOSE AGAIN!!!!!!!!! great job Esther! and even better job Aus! I love the name of the blog! WOWWOWOWOWOW i am excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhm... no. I think the name is permanent. And I did include pictures: can't you see those baby Stewie and Kirk Gibson photos?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! i know many people who would be so happy to see this! (most of whom only know you as buddha_hat) you dont mind if i let them know, right? welcome back to blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dan & i both agree that this was the best thing that happened today...this week...this month...this year? (second thing to our marriage)

    keep it comin.

    re: "ellas heart." CLASSIC AUS. hahah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Auster family!! I mean, Austin! ;p
    I'm glad you are writing again, and I am sorry I missed the first time around (circa 2006), but I'm imagining this will take off in no time at all! Thanks for keeping us in the loop and I look forward to all the new and exciting things you'll be writing about! Diapers, sports, or whatever you feel like writing about. Congrats again! Now there are two babies!! Hehe... Ella and the Blog!


    xo,
    Jen and Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were shocked that Esther agreed to "all your conditions" and you had all of...two? Man, Esther runs a tight ship...

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg! how come i didn't know about this blog until today! i'm so excited to read your blog!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete